Six Nations preview: Who's going to win?

With the Six Nations just around the corner, I decided to try and predict what the outcome of the competition will be. Here goes!

1. Ireland
It is going to be very close but Ireland have to go in as favourites. Their recent form has been incredible with noticeable victories over some of the best teams in the world. What I mean by this is that they beat the All Blacks! I don't think that any team will be able to beat them. They have been dominant and will continue to be for this stint of games. However, I do think that this will actually be a bad thing for Irish fans. In my opinion, Ireland have peaked too early. The World Cup is just coming up and it would be really hard to keep this level of performance up for all of this time.


2. Wales 
The Welsh have been building some really solid momentum in the past year. They have a deep talent pool with lots of young skillful players being picked in the squad. Although they have some major injury setbacks with the likes of Leigh Halfpenny and Taulupe Faletau out, they have the talent to replace these world-class players. Ross Moriarty and Liam Williams have stepped up to take their places in the team. Wales are on a nine-game winning streak and I can see them having a really good competition.

3. England
As an England fan, it pains me to put England in third place. However, I have to be realistic. English teams have really struggled in the top flight of Europe this year and although this has nothing to do with national form, I believe that psychologically this could impact the confidence of some of the players. I feel that there are a lot of things that England need to work on but I hope that I am wrong and that they end up winning!


4. France
The French national team is strange. Sometimes they can be really impressive but more often than not they are mediocre. Too often French players are seen jogging instead of running at full speed and I think that their lack heart and desire is odd. When France want to play well they are a real threat to any team. They have some quality players and history proves that they always improve in a World Cup year. I think that they beat Italy and Scotland and it depends on whether their quality players decide to play to their ability if they beat any other teams.

5. Scotland 
Scotland have impressed me recently. They have come close to winning some big games but have not been able to finish them off. The recent form of Finn Russell should be really exciting for Scotland fans. At Racing 92 he has been playing incredibly well and has been a real attacking threat. If he plays like this for his national side then it is likely that Scotland will really threaten some of the big teams in this competition.

6. Italy 
Under Conor O'Shea Italian rugby has started to progress well. Their two domestic teams are starting to play better rugby and the grassroots levels of the sport in Italy have really started to develop. I think that it is still too early to see a massive change in the way that they play in the Six Nations. I predict them to lose all of their games but I expect them to really push some teams.

What are your predictions?

Comments