Groves vs Eubank - The Result

What a fight! George Groves has defeated Chris Eubank Jnr in the semi final of the World Boxing Super Series by a unanimous decision. (Click here to read my prediction) Groves seemed to out box Eubank for the majority of the fight and in my opinion Eubank only won about three of the twelve rounds.  



The judges scored the fight 117 - 112, 116 - 112 and 115 - 113 all in favour of Groves. I think that some of these scores are a bit close and think that Eubank was schooled for most of the fight. Groves dislocated his shoulder in the last round making an exciting end of the fight as it gave Eubank a chance to fight back.


It was a shame to see that Eubank is just another hype job. He has now fought two proper opponents and has lost to both of them. He needs to take a good look at himself and admit that he needs a trainer if he is to progress to further World Championship fights. I think he needs to go back down to middle weight and start to build again properly, with a solid team around him.

Groves now goes on to face the winner of the Callum Smith vs Jurgen Brahmer in the final of the World Boxing Super Series. That is if he recovers in time... I wonder if Groves' injury puts him out for a long time, will Chris Eubank Jnr be the one in the final? I hope not. Fingers crossed Groves will be ok and if he's not, I would rather wait and see Groves in the final rather than somebody who didn't win their semi-final.


I have been really impressed with the World Boxing Super Series. There has been regular, exciting fights and I hope that this means we will see more tournament style boxing in the future. I was not impressed, however, by ITV Box Office. Looking at twitter it seems that I am not the only one. I paid for it on TV Player and the footage kept cutting out and stopping. I was lucky compared to some people who weren't able to watch the fight at all despite paying for it. Hopefully they will sort this out for the future or I fear that they won't be providing any competition to the like of Sky and Boxnation for much longer.

Comments