My Opinions on the England Squad

With the Six Nations just around the corner there is something to look forward to. Helping us forget the glum weather and instead bring us happiness and joy. But... Will England do as well as they have done in the past two Six Nations under Eddie Jones? Or does the fact that English teams are doing so poorly in European Rugby at the moment hint to the fact that the Six Nations title will not be England's this year? Will the plague of injuries limit our chances? 



I have always enjoyed watching the Six Nations and watching the team that you support win it makes it even more enjoyable. But is Eddie Jones' Six Nations title winning streak over? I don't think so. When asked by the BBC if England are good enough to win the Six Nation Jones replied with his wry smile by saying that 'if you read the papers we might as well not show up.' The fact that the media have been so critical of England's chances this year seems to almost have insulted Eddie Jones. Eddie also said that the most difficult part of his job is the media side of it as everyone is competing for headlines and to break stories first. Although this is their job I agree with Eddie in the idea that the media have almost written England off in their stories just to try and get extra viewers. England still have a very strong squad with quality players, experienced players and world class players all playing alongside each other. I will be very surprised if England do not win the Six Nations. I think that the game with Ireland will be hard and could be a potential loss but I still see England winning the title. Scotland have become a real force recently under new coach Gregor Townsend and I think will get a few surprising victories.

My prediction for this years Six Nations is:

1. England
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. Wales
5. France
6. Italy

Let me know what your predictions are @louis1999shaw on twitter...

The England Squad

8 Saracens (2nd in prem)                                                   
6 Harlequins (9th)
5 Bath (5th)
5 Exeter Chiefs (1st)
4 Leicester Tigers (8th)
3 Northampton Saints (10th)
1 Sale Shark (7th)
1 Worcester (11th)
1 Newcastle Falcon (6th)
1 Wasp (3rd)

Looking at this table is seems strange that so many players from teams lower down in the leagues  being picked. One way of viewing it would be to pick more players from the clubs that are performing well. However, why change something that works. Eddie Jones has a 95% win rate as England Head Coach with only one loss. There is no need to make massive changes to squads if the team is winning. Much the same answer to those questioning Eddie jones decision to continue with Dylan Hartley as captain. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I am very pleased to see that Zach Mercer has been chosen in this squad. No longer with the little asterix by his name. If you have read my blog before you will know how much of a fan of Zach Mercer I am and I hope that he gets the chance to bring his exceptional talent from the premiership up into the international level. With a long list of injuries in the back row I would hope to see Zach involved in the Italy game. I don't know if he will start as I see Lawes, Simmonds and Robshaw starting in the back row for that test. Providing that everything goes well, Zach could come on and have good game time in the second half.

I hope to follow up this post with a podcast in the next couple of days in which I will look a bit deeper into the squad. If you have any opinions or comments on the squad that I could use in the pod please leave some comments down below!

Comments